Meat Goat Management
Robert Swize - American Boer Goat Association
After completion of this module of instruction, the producer should be able to identify the two general categories to follow when selecting goats and to use common selection tools when making decision for doe purchase and/or replacement into the herd. The producer should be able to evaluate the body condition of the goat herd. The producer should know procedures to tattoo, trim hooves, disbud and castrate with knife, elastrator and burdizzo. The producer should be able to estimate a goat's age by looking at its teeth. The producer should be able to score 85% on the module test.
After completion of this instructional module the producer should be able to:
- Identify the two general categories for use with proper goat selection.
- Identify common selection tools that goat producers should use.
- Identify desirable traits of a meat goat.
- Distinguish between good and bad reproductive traits of the breeding meat goat doe and buck.
- Identify the different kinds of records that a meat goat producer should keep on his/her animals.
- Select the appropriate time to wean a meat goat kid.
- State the purpose of the Expected Progeny Difference Evaluation Program.
- Identify some of the most common Expected Progeny Difference.
- Select the three factors that determine how well a goat performs.
- Match production traits to heritability percentages for meat goats.
- Select the purpose of having each animal identified.
- Distinguish between permanent and non-permanent identification.
- Identify two management decisions that warrant consideration for disbudding.
- State the proper methods of castrating a goat kid.
- Match the Body Condition Score ranges with their descriptions.
- Identify appropriate management practices that should be followed at kidding.
- Identify appropriate management practices that should be followed from birth to weaning.
- Know the procedure for tattooing a goat.
- Know the procedure for trimming hooves.
- Know appropriate methods of disbudding.
- Know how to estimate a goat's age
- General visual appraisal
- Breeder records
- Performance records
- Genetic evaluation
- Number and arrangement of teeth
- Telling the age of goats
- Ear tags
- Ear notching
- How to body condition score
- Additional body condition score information
- Routine procedures
- Abnormal births
You may download this module in PDF format.